Oslo Hackney is a real find. Restaurant, bar and live music venue all under one roof and with a Scandinavian design and a relaxed atmosphere that is welcoming and cosy.
Located in a railway station, which was built by the North London Railway Company in 1870, OSLO is right next to Hackney Central on Amhurst Road.
We recently went along to try out the special Christmas menu (£26.95, minimum 10 people) and had a chance to look around. The food was lovely and if you manage to get 10 people together well worth considering for a meal with friends or colleagues.
Favourites were the baked camembert, the turkey ballotine and the fried sea bass and even though I am not a huge fan of Christmas pudding (sorry!), OSLO’s version is delicious. And the bar served the best mulled wine I have had this year.
But food and drink is of course available all year round, weekdays from lunch till late, with weekend brunches from 10am and sharing roasts every Sunday. Dishes on OLSO’s recently launched menu include:
- Polse (Flame grilled Norwegian sausage with horseradish flavoured beetroot and sourdough)- £7
- Hot Smoked Salmon Salad – Hot Smoked Salmon with Green Beans, Sunblush Tomatoes, Olives, a Soft Boiled Egg and Garlic Croutons
- Nordic Cure (Two Clarence Court eggs any style with chorizo, smoked bacon, haloumi, avocado, grilled peppers and homemade chili beans on signature waffle- £9.5
- New Orleans Burger (Marinated free range chicken breast cooked in Cajun spice buttermilk served with homemade guacamole & Siracha mayo)- £12
- Rump of Beef/ Roast Half Chicken (served with roast potatoes cooked in goose fat, parsnips, Yorkshire pudding, kale, carrots and gravy)- £14/16
The cocktail menu features a range of classic and traditional cocktails for £8 as well as an extensive list of local craft beers and top quality wines that won’t break the bank. The South African house wine, both red and white, is especially great value for money.
The upstairs music space backs onto a private ‘Green Room,’ bar which can host up to 75 people for private parties.
And if you are still looking for somewhere to party this New Year’s Eve, OSLO will be hosting its exciting Locomotive’s Disco, promising a fantastic end to the year with good people and great music from special guests and excellent resident DJs playing House, Disco, Funk & Boogie. December 31st, 9pm to 4am.
Special Guests include Harry Wolfman (The House of Disco / Dirt Crew), Jive Talk (2inch LNDN / Music Box Radio UK) & Esteemed Resident: Harrison (Joy Fantastic)
Tickets £10 – 15.
1A Amhurst Road Hackney London E8 1LL
T: 020 3553 4831